Developing advanced biomaterials and biomanufacturing technologies for the next generation of repair and regenerative therapies in orthopaedics
The Biomedical Materials focus area is committed to the design of advanced biomaterials and the development of (bio)manufacturing technologies to achieve improved patient care and outcomes in musculoskeletal disorders. Using variety of chemical approaches, we create responsive biomaterials that react to environmental stimuli and actively interact with cells and tissues.
We design biomaterial surfaces and antibacterial delivery systems for prevention and treatment of infections, and we are investigating how materials "talk" to the body at the cellular level by harnessing the inflammatory processes to trigger a healing response and prevent chronic inflammation. We also develop bio-processing technologies for translating tissue engineering approaches to regenerative, patient-tailored precision medicine.
By deepening our understanding on how materials dynamically interact with/in the body, and how additive manufacturing and bioprocessing modulate these interactions, we aim to advance orthopaedic patient care.
Selected collaborative projects
- 2020-2023- Precision medicine for musculoskeletal regeneration, prosthetics and active ageing. (PREMUROSA Innovative Training Networks, partner, H2020 funded project, nber: 860462).
- 2020-2024- Engineered full-organ 3D intervertebral disc as standardized model for studying disc degeneration and disease. (INDEED, coordinator SNF-ANR Bilateral project, nber: 310030E_189310).
- 2020-2024- 3D Printed-Matrix Assisted Chemically Modified RNAs Bone Regenerative Therapy for Trauma and Osteoporotic Patients. (cmRNAbone, coordinator H2020 funded project, nber: 874790).
- 2020-2026- Establishment of the Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence. (partner, H2020 funded project, number 857287).
Selected scientific publications
- Augurio A, Cortelletti P, Tognato R, Rios A, Levato R, Malda J, Alini M, Eglin D, Giancane G, Speghini A, Serra T.
A Multifunctional Nanocomposite Hydrogel for Endoscopic Tracking and Manipulation. (2020) Adv. Intell. Syst.
- Davidson MD, Ban E, Schoonen, ACM, Lee M‐H, D'Este M, Shenoy VB, Burdick JA.
Mechanochemical Adhesion and Plasticity in Multifiber Hydrogel Networks. (2019) Adv. Mater., 1905719.
- Tognato R, Armiento AR, Bonfrate V, Levato R, Malda J, Alini M, Eglin D, Giancane G, Serra T.
A Stimuli‐Responsive Nanocomposite for 3D Anisotropic Cell‐Guidance and Magnetic Soft Robotic. (2019) Adv. Funct. Mater., 29, 1804647.
- Petta D, Armiento AR, Grijpma D, Alini M, Eglin D, D’Este M.
3D bioprinting of a hyaluronan bioink through enzymatic-and visible light-crosslinking. (2018) Biofabrication, 10(4), 044104.
- ter Boo G-JA, Grijpma DW, Moriarty TF, Richards RG, Eglin D.
Antimicrobial delivery systems for local infection prophylaxis in orthopedic- and trauma surgery. (2015) Biomaterials, 52, 113-125.
- Kesti M, Müller M, Becher J, Schnabelrauch M, D'Este M, Eglin D, Zenobi-Wong M.
A versatile bioink for three-dimensional printing of cellular scaffolds based on thermally and photo-triggered tandem gelation. (2015) Acta Biomaterialia, 11, 162-172.