Developing advanced biomaterials and biomanufacturing technologies for the next generation of repair and regenerative therapies in orthopaedics
The Biomedical Materials focus area is committed to the design of advanced biomaterials and the development of manufacturing technologies to achieve improved patient care and outcome in musculoskeletal disorders.
We create biomaterials that react to environmental stimuli, that interact with cells and tissues and that are amenable to cutting-edge 3D printing and biofabrication technologies. We develop bio-processing technologies for cost-efficient tissue engineering approaches to regenerative, patient-tailored precision medicine. We design biomaterial surfaces and antibacterial delivery systems for prevention and treatment of infections.
By enhancing our knowledge of the biomaterials design, additive manufacturing and bioprocessing, we aim to advance patient care.
Selected collaborative projects
- 2020-2023- Precision medicine for musculoskeletal regeneration, prosthetics and active ageing. (PREMUROSA Innovative Training Networks, partner, H2020 funded project, nber: 860462).
- 2020-2024- Engineered full-organ 3D intervertebral disc as standardized model for studying disc degeneration and disease. (INDEED, coordinator SNF-ANR Bilateral project, nber: 310030E_189310).
- 2020-2024- 3D Printed-Matrix Assisted Chemically Modified RNAs Bone Regenerative Therapy for Trauma and Osteoporotic Patients. (cmRNAbone, coordinator H2020 funded project, nber: 874790).
- 2020-2026- Establishment of the Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence. (partner, H2020 funded project, number 857287).
A stimuli-responsive nanocomposite for 3D anisotropic cell-guidance and magnetic soft robotics
A multifunctional nanocomposite hydrogel for endoscopic tracking and manipulation
Selected scientific publications
- Augurio A, Cortelletti P, Tognato R, Rios A, Levato R, Malda J, Alini M, Eglin D, Giancane G, Speghini A, Serra T. A Multifunctional Nanocomposite Hydrogel for Endoscopic Tracking and Manipulation. (2020) Adv. Intell. Syst.
- Davidson MD, Ban E, Schoonen, ACM, Lee M‐H, D'Este M, Shenoy VB, Burdick JA. Mechanochemical Adhesion and Plasticity in Multifiber Hydrogel Networks. (2019) Adv. Mater., 1905719.
- Tognato R, Armiento AR, Bonfrate V, Levato R, Malda J, Alini M, Eglin D, Giancane G, Serra T. A Stimuli‐Responsive Nanocomposite for 3D Anisotropic Cell‐Guidance and Magnetic Soft Robotic. (2019) Adv. Funct. Mater., 29, 1804647.
- Petta D, Armiento AR, Grijpma D, Alini M, Eglin D, D’Este M. 3D bioprinting of a hyaluronan bioink through enzymatic-and visible light-crosslinking. (2018) Biofabrication, 10(4), 044104.
- ter Boo G-JA, Grijpma DW, Moriarty TF, Richards RG, Eglin D. Antimicrobial delivery systems for local infection prophylaxis in orthopedic- and trauma surgery. (2015) Biomaterials, 52, 113-125.
- Kesti M, Müller M, Becher J, Schnabelrauch M, D'Este M, Eglin D, Zenobi-Wong M. A versatile bioink for three-dimensional printing of cellular scaffolds based on thermally and photo-triggered tandem gelation. (2015) Acta Biomaterialia, 11, 162-172.