As part of the AO Innovation Translation Center, the Technology Transfer office helps drive the development and acquisition of innovative approaches to patient care in trauma and musculoskeletal disorders.
The AO offers inventors and product developers a pathway to move their ideas from paper to patients, which includes funding, knowledge leadership, expert insight, proof-of-concept, clinical validation, and valorization.
The AO funds innovation in a number of ways
Strategy fund resources focus on:
- Clinical tools and technologies for any element of the entire patient journey in musculoskeletal disorders, from diagnosis to post-operative care; or
- Educational tools, platforms or channels for lifelong training of surgeons.
Development incubator funding supports inventors:
Through investment of up to US $3 million over five years, granted by an independent board that approves proposals and consults widely with experts in relevant fields.
- securing intellectual property
- developing a proof of concept (POC)
- planning the POC’s valorization
As part of the AO ITC, the Technology Transfer office drives innovation by:
- Making strategic investments
- Providing expertise and guidance for AO Technical Commission off-ramp projects
- Delivering innovation projects together with external partners
AO ITC clinical research to global standards (ISO 14155 and ICH GCP), drawing on in-house medical and scientific expertise.
AO Technical Commission
Central to the AO ITC's development and valorization of innovations in trauma, spine, craniomaxillofacial, and veterinary surgery.
Innovation translation at the AO involves developing disruptive technologies to address unmet clinical needs.