AO Trauma Advanced Principles of Fracture Management Course
The AO Trauma advanced principles course builds upon the AO principles and techniques learned in the AO Trauma basic principles course and focuses on more complex injuries.
„The AO Trauma Advanced Principles course is you first step in the path of lifelong learning in operative fracture management.“
Moritz Tannast—Course Chairperson
The fundamental course for doctors in surgical training, and doctors interested in furthering their knowledge and skills in operative fracture management. This course provides the knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed to apply the principles of fracture management in basic situations in trauma patient care and in patients with more complex injuries.
Top national, regional, and international faculty
3 days in duration
Doctors in surgical training or interested in furthering their knowledge and skills
The first and important step to enhance your career
Advanced Principles of Fracture Management course content
- Module 1: Review of the principles and new techniques
- Module 2: Injuries of the upper limb
- Module 3: Injuries of the lower limb
- Module 4: Polytrauma, pelvis, and acetabulum
- Module 5: Special situations and problems
- Fixation of a proximal humeral fracture
- Fixation of a distal femoral fracture
- Bicondylar tibial plateau fractures
- Management of distal tibial fractures
- Reduction techniques*
- Fractures of the distal humerus*
- Distal radial fracture*
- Intramedullary (IM) nailing of the proximal femur*
- Open reduction and internal fixation of multifragmentary fractures of the calcaneus*
- Patient positioning workshop*
*Only in selected courses. Check your chosen date and location for the full program.
Small group discussions
- Reduction techniques—concepts and application
- Upper extremity fractures—decision making and methods of stabilization
- Fractures of the femur
- Fractures of the tibia, ankle, and foot
- Decision making in difficult fractures and polytrauma
Course details may be subject to change. Please check your chosen date and location for the detailed program.
Residents—curriculum and education taskforce
The program for residents offers a wide range of face-to-face and self-directed learning.