AO Trauma Research Olympiad aims to be an event where the different AO Trauma regions connect to promote research on a global level.
We want to encourage new researchers and give them a forum in which they can promote their projects as well as create an international network of contacts within the AO world.
We offer the final candidates the opportunity to get to know the AO Research Institute (ARI) and its researchers, to contact the AO Innovation Technology Center and its Fellowship opportunities and to visit the AO Davos Courses and be together with the 300+ faculty and 1000+ participants.
The objectives of the event are to:
- Signify the importance of research within the AO Trauma community
- Enhance a culture of clinical and basic science research among AO Trauma members
- Further strengthen the bonds of the AO Trauma regions
- Establish a spirit of competitiveness, respect, and respect for the rules governing research across the AO Trauma regions and among AO Trauma members
- Give AO Trauma members the opportunity to present and to compete at a global level
- Promote the AO spirit of innovation and development of new concepts
Each AO Trauma region will select two candidates, who will be invited to Davos, Switzerland to present their research projects in the competition in December. AO Trauma seeks members who are interested in participating in this research project competition.
Why should you join?
The candidates will participate in the following activities:
- A visit to the AO Research Institute Davos (ARI) facilities and a get-together with ARI researchers and AO Innovation Translation Center (AO ITC) staff.
- Tour of the AO Davos Courses
- Dinner with invited guests
- AO Trauma Research Olympiad competition
The detailed program will be announced at a later date.
Winners of the competition will receive gold, silver, and bronze medals as well as certificates. The costs of flights and four nights of lodging in Davos will be covered by AO Trauma.
What are the application criteria?
- Applicants must be 40 years old or younger.
- All the candidates need to be clinicians.
- Candidates may not have any other commitments during the days of the AO TRO program.
- Projects must be original clinical research that has not yet published or previously presented or published within the last 6 months at the time of application.
Candidates will present their research projects in front of a jury of five judges (one from each AO Trauma region). Jury members are selected by the AO Trauma Research Commission. The chairperson of the AO Trauma Research Olympiad is Peter Giannoudis, Leeds, United Kingdom.
AO Trauma Research Olympiad 2023
We are thrilled to announce the winners of the AO Trauma Research Olympiad 2023.
Congratulations to Kyle Schweser (United States), Colin Yung (Hong Kong), and Sandeep Patel (India) for their remarkable accomplishments in the AO Trauma Research Olympiad 2023!
Gold medal winnner:
Kyle Schweser (USA)
Silver medal winner:
Colin Yung (Hong Kong)
Bronze medal winner:
Sandeep Patel (India)
AO Trauma Research Olympiad 2023 on AO TV
Picture gallery 2023
AO Trauma Research Olympiad 2022
Picture gallery 2022
“Research and innovation have always been a pillar of the AO Foundation. Now the 5 AO regions can send 2 candidates from each region to Davos, Switzerland. We give them the opportunity to share their projects on an international level”.
“I would like to highlight the great success of this initiative to support young clinician scientists. These research competitions are important as they motivate young clinicians to perform research while attracting the interest of the AO Foundation to new researchers.”
Get in touch
We are happy to answer your questions and provide you with additional information.