The AO Surgery Reference
The AO Surgery Reference is a powerful online resource for the management of a vast variety of fractures. It is based on current clinical principles, practices, and available evidence. It is designed to support your day-to-day treatment planning, learning, and teaching.
The orthopedic trauma section provides free access to fracture management in:
- Adult fractures
- Pediatric fractures
- Periprosthetic fractures of the hip and knee
Find further information in our FAQ section!
What makes AO Surgery Reference different?
- From start to finish—and beyond, it describes the complete fracture management process, from diagnosis to aftercare for all fractures of a specific anatomical region.
- State-of-the-art content addressing a global audience: The AO Surgery Reference’s high-quality content has undergone a rigorous peer-review process.
- Always up to date: Introduced in 2006, the AO Surgery Reference has been continuously expanded and revised.
- Unique collection of illustrations: Over 30,000 surgical illustrations—available for free download—take you through each step of the procedures and approaches.
- Widely recognized: The AO Surgery reference has earned multiple awards and is recommended by leading institutions worldwide.
The AO Surgery Reference has a gallery of over 30'000 unique surgical illustrations. Watch the video to find out how these are created.
How it works: the AO Surgery Reference in five easy steps
- Choose your anatomical region using the skeleton overview.
- Select the fracture type for your case.
- Decide on the optimal treatment according to the indications.
- Get the treatment plan with approach, patient preparation, and pearls and pitfalls of the procedure.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions for a successful surgery, including pre- and postoperative care.
- The layout of AO Surgery Reference in a browser adapts to the size of your screen and the app makes it easy for mobile users to access.
- The content structure primarily follows the AO/OTA Fracture and Dislocation Classification.
- The content can be accessed through the navigation or the powerful and easy-to-use search function.
Download the app!
Link to app stores if visited by mobile device:
Benefits for residents
Accelerate your learning curve!
- Prepare for case presentation or case discussion.
- Become more confident and competent in preparing for surgery. Review procedures you commonly use and become familiar with various approaches before you enter the operating room.
- Achieve your learning goals.
Benefits for practitioners
Join the experience of our users worldwide!
- Compare treatment options and decide what’s appropriate for your patient.
- Plan your patient’s treatment.
- Use the step-by-step approach when communicating with your staff.
- Make use of the illustrations when engaging your patients in their treatment.
- Sharpen your skills prior to performing surgery
- Learn specifics of pediatric fracture management.
- Explore and make use of new features.
Benefits for surgeon educators
- Use the content to educate your residents and course participants.
- Use the AO Surgery Reference’s image collection—with more than 30,000 surgical illustrations to choose from—to illustrate your presentations and teaching materials.
News and updates
What is new?
- Adult trauma: Proximal femur (revision)
- Adult trauma: Midfoot, Metatarsals, Toes (revision)
- Pediatric trauma: Distal tibia and fibula (new)
- Intraoperative imaging (elbow, hip, knee, ankle)
What is coming up?
- Adult trauma: Hand modules (revision)
- Pediatric trauma: Proximal tibia (new)
- Pediatric trauma: Tibia shaft (new)
- Periprosthetic fractures of the shoulder (new)
- Intraoperative imaging wrist (new)
- Spine: Primary spine tumors
- Spine: Trauma classification