Prof R Geoff Richards
Executive Director AO R&D, Director AO Research Institute Davos
7270 Davos, Switzerland
Tel.: +41 81 414 24 40
Fellow of the Learned Society of Wales (FLSW)
International Fellow of Tissue Engineering And Regenerative Medicine (FTERM)
Fellow of the Orthopaedic Research Society (Class of 2021) (FORS)
Fellow of Biomaterials Science and Engineering (FBSE)
Fellow of International Orthopaedic Research (FIOR)
Honorary Fellow Aberystwyth University (Cymrawd er Anrhydedd Prifysgol Aberystwyth)
Past-Chair of the International College of Fellows for Orthopaedic Research Global (world)
Chair of FTERM College of Fellows
Chair of TERMIS Nomination Committee
Past President Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS), member of TERMIS Global Governing Board
President Science City Davos
Editor-In-Chief eCM Not-for-profit Open Access Journal
Editor-In-Chief eCM Periodical
Professor, Cardiff University Wales, United Kingdom
Professor, Albert-Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
Distinguished Professor, First Affiliated Hospital, Sun-Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China
Member of Chinese High Level Foreign Talents Program (Category A) at the invitation of Sun Yat-sen University
Dr Honoris Causa, Technical University of Varna, Bulgaria
Professor Richards has worked at the AO Research Institute in Davos, Switzerland since 1991. Since 2009 he has been the director with currently 145 multidisciplinary scientists who undertake cutting-edge research in regenerative medicine, tissue engineering, biomaterials and implant science. The research contributes to the AO Foundation’s educational courses dedicated to promoting excellence in patient care in musculoskeletal disorders and trauma where over 58,000 surgeons attend 830 such educational events globally each year.
In his time as director he has brought the institute up to international standards ISO 9001: 2015 and certified the institute as a medical device manufacturer EN ISO 13485: 2016 to allow clinical evaluation of the institute's innovations. He brought the Preclinical Facility to AAALAC accreditation (Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International) in early 2013 and achieved Good Laboratory Practice level in 2016 (GLP compliant test facility for biocompability and efficacy with medical devices and pharmaceuticals).
He is author on over 270 peer reviewed research articles and numerous reviews and book chapters. Stanford University produce a ranking of the world's top 2% of scientists with all disciplines combined (latest release October 2021) where Professor Richards remains within the World's Top 2% of Scientists (collecting citations since 1996). His research work on titanium implant interfaces in trauma has translated to major improvements in the design and manufacture of fracture fixation devices.
In 1999 he co-founded eCM journal, arguably the first online only, open access journal in the world, a pioneer in open access publishing. This concept disrupted the publishing field in science, which is now standard practice. The journal is a leader in the orthopaedic research field. He is a member of the International Combined Orthopaedic Research Societies (ICORS) Steering Committee and in 2016 he founded the International College of Fellows for ICORS. ICORS is an alliance of national societies from around the world which aims to promote basic, translational, and musculoskeletal research worldwide.
During his 3 year term as Global president of TERMIS, he has developed and implemented the following steps for best practice in governance with help from the governing board:
• Revamped and simplified the TERMIS Mission with guide on how the society moves to achieve this
• Updated the Core Values for TERMIS
• Created & Implemented a Code of Ethics for TERMIS
• Created a TERMIS Diversity Statement
• Updated detailed TERMIS Officer Roles & Responsibilities for all Governing Board Members
• Updated significantly the TERMIS By-Laws to state of the art and best practice
• Brought in new officers for Treasurer, Secretary and the new single role as Legal Counsel (no longer combined with Secretary)
• Initiated New transparent finance processes from budgeting, to actuals to tax submissions.
• Instigated a new Membership model and platform for society sustainability (with reduced registration fee to attend TERMIS conferences)
• Developed a new updated Emerging Country group (with a reduced membership fee for poorer countries)
• Affiliated TERMIS Global to related societies (ISBF (International Society for Biofabrication) and AST (American Society for Transplantation) both with a dedicated webinar series')
• Developed positions for the younger society members, “Student and Young Investigator Sections” (SYIS) were brought into the Governing Board
• Signed a new win-win contract with Mary Anne Liebert, Inc. publishers of the TERMIS official journals of Tissue Engineering Parts A, B and C