Periprosthetic fractures curriculum
Periprosthetic fractures education committee
The periposthetic fractures education committee is a group of experts who build and continously improve our educational program. It consists of international program editors (IPEs) from orthopedic trauma and reconstructive surgery.
Vincenzo Giordano (BR)
Roger Bingham (AU)
Luigi Zagra (IT)
Gijs van Hellemondt (NL)
See a full list of all regional program contributors and past international program editors.
The periprosthetic fracture management course addresses both fracture fixation and revision arthroplasty and is targeted at senior, experienced consultant (practicing) surgeons.
The course consists of eight modules:
- General principles
- Revision arthroplasty around the hip
- Revision around the knee
- Fracture fixation with implant retention
- Other periprosthetic fractures
- Patient journey
- Practical exercises
It is delivered through short lectures and case-based lectures, small group discussions, and simulation. The simulated procedures for both fixation and revision can be conducted with anatomical specimens or with exercises on dry bones.
Event defined in the curriculum
AO Trauma/AO Recon Course—Comprehensive Periprosthetic Fracture Management of the Hip and Knee
Senior, experienced (more than 5 years) consultant/practicing surgeons:
> General orthopedic surgeons
> Fracture specialists
> Arthroplasty specialists
> Surgeons experienced with both trauma and arthroplasty
Resources for faculty
Already a faculty member? Explore resources supporting your teaching activities.
The curriculum is based upon 8 competencies:
- Recognize the challenges of periprosthetic fracture management
- Explain the indications for internal fixation and revision arthroplasty (including intraoperative fractures)
- Apply techniques of internal fixation
- Apply techniques of revision arthroplasty
- Manage the patient with a periprosthetic fracture from a medical and orthogeriatric point of view
- Prevent and treat complications
- Follow up with the patient and optimize patient satisfaction
- Analyze treatment failures and recognize possible pitfalls in treatment
What does competency-based curriculum development mean?