Hand and wrist
Hand and wrist education taskforce
The hand and wrist education taskforce is a group of experts who build and continuously improve our educational program. It consists of three international program editors (IPEs).
Sudhir Warrier (IN)
Ahmed Syed Kamran (PK)
Inese Breide (LV)
See a full list of all regional program contributors and past international program editors.
AO Trauma Course—Introduction to Internal Fixation of Hand and Wrist Fractures aims to create a learning environment where the principles and techniques of internal fixation of hand and wrist injuries can be understood, applied, and demonstrated appropriately to improve the quality of outcomes.
The AO Trauma Course—Management of Hand and Wrist Fractures is designed as an interactive and discursive arena in which participants will be able to understand, discriminate, and consolidate the principles, skills, and techniques applicable to the use of internal fixation in the hand and wrist.
The Masters course addresses the latest techniques and best practices in operative fracture management to deal with
Events defined in the curriculum
AO Trauma Course—Introduction to Internal Fixation of Hand and Wrist Fractures (0.5 day)
AO Trauma Course—Management of Hand and Wrist Fractures (2.5-3 days)
AO Trauma Masters Course—Management of Hand and Wrist Fractures (2.5-3 days)
Resources for faculty
Already a faculty member? Explore resources supporting your teaching activities.
- Perform pre-treatment assessment including physical examination, patient history including comorbidities
- Order and interpret imaging, classify skeletal and soft-tissue injury
- Decide on appropriate treatment based on skillset and available resources
- Apply the necessary soft-tissue repair techniques
- Correct any skeletal deformity and apply appropriate internal or external stabilization using the instruments and tools correctly
- Evaluate and address unexpected outcomes
- Develop and implement a rehabilitation and follow-up plan
What does competency-based curriculum development mean?