Educating surgeons and teachers worldwide
21 August 2019
AOTrauma Europe and Southern Africa (AO TESA) and AOCMF Research and Development (R&D) are underlining their confidence in their members—and in the AO Program for Education and Excellence in Research (AO PEER)—by sponsoring seats at upcoming AO PEER Teacher Seminars.
AO TESA has selected ten of its members and will sponsor their participation in an upcoming AO PEER Teacher Seminar in a European venue, while AO CMF Research and Development’s open call for sponsorship applications generated more than 100 applications. AO CMF will award a one-time payment of CHF 2,000 per approved candidate.
Nominee selection criteria includes:
- Active involvement in clinical research, including publishing
- Teaching experience
- Faculty Education Program (FEP) attendance preferred
AO PEER offers surgeons and researchers tools and education in clinical research through online material and face-to-face courses. One AO PEER goal is to develop teacher groups around the world by educating surgeons and teachers through its teacher seminars, where they learn about the special educational aspects of AO PEER research content.
At the end of the AO PEER Teacher Seminar, participants should be able to:
- Apply the content of the AO PEER course curriculum.
- Describe the target audience of the AO PEER courses.
- Outline the course material of the AO PEER courses (structure, blended concept, available teaching resources).
- Address potential challenges in the AO PEER courses.
- Define the prerequisites and selection process to become an AOP EER teacher.
- Describe the administrative and organizational aspects related to AO PEER educational activities.
- Explain the AO PEER program and outlook on teaching activities for the AO PEER program.
The idea behind developing a network of AO PEER teachers is to enable the AO regions to initiate courses in their countries by involving local AO PEER teachers. The courses are coordinated and supported by the AO PEER back office.
As a result of the development during the previous three years, there are currently 65 approved AO PEER teachers (and 56 more are currently in the application process) who will be involved in upcoming face-to-face AO PEER Principles of Clinical Research courses:
- October 12, 2019, in Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
- October 25–26, 2019, in Fribourg, Switzerland
- October 26–27, 2019, in Boston, United States
- October 28–29, 2019, in Boston, United States
- October 31, 2019, in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- November 9–10, 2019, in Toronto, Canada
- December 7–8, 2019, in Davos, Switzerland
Upcoming AO PEER Level 2 courses:
- October 5–6, 2019, in Cambridge, United Kingdom: Grant writing
- October 14, 2019, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates: Publication writing
- December 8–9, 2019, in Davos, Switzerland: Study Management and Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
To learn more about clinical research and to register for an AO PEER course, please visit www.aopeer.org. Access to the platform is free to all members of the AO’s clinical divisions