Start tipping the balance with Women in Spine
Some of the most powerful AO Spine members are volunteering their efforts to address the gender imbalance of surgeons working in spine. We will continue the tradition of the hugely successful diversity events at the GSC 2021 in Paris, France, and in 2019 in Toronto, Canada:
Women in Spine Breakfast Symposium
Friday, June 3, at 07:00–08:00 AM, moderated by Elizabeth Lord
- Rushama Tandon: Networking to move forward and stay relevant
- Michelle Clarke: How you deal with failure determines how you achieve success
- Cordula Netzer: Is our identity shaped by how others view us?
- Yu-Mi Ryang: Female surgeons and diversity—An overview of other organizations; where do we stand today?
Scientific Symposium by Women in Spine
Catastrophic Implant Failure: Prevention and Management
Friday, June 3, at 14:00-15:00, moderated by Michelle Clarke and Rushama Tandon
- Matthew Goodwin: Biomechanics of spine implants
- Shania Lipa: Bone density, osteoporosis, and implant selection
- Cordula Netzer : Pseudarthrosis, infection, and failure
- Deeptee Jain: Failure of motion preservation implants
- Elizabeth Lord: Salvage and revision strategies
The GSC Program with all the latest details is available here.
Other highlights from the AO Spine community
Raphaële Charest-Morin sees the AO Spine Knowledge Forums as a real strength for clinicians and researchers.
The rising spinal oncology star and AO Spine Knowledge Forum Tumor associate member shared details of her work and how researchers can leverage the AO Spine KF network. Read more here.
Charest-Morin's article on Frailty and Sarcopenia is available on the AO Spine Guest Blog.
Voices for change: celebrating diversity within the AO
AO embraces differences and celebrates diversity. Sharing experiences and advice from one peer to another delivers unique and powerful messages.
Become an advocate for change by sharing your story. More details here.
Women in Spine in the news
It’s time to shine a light
With female surgeons making up as little as 5 percent of our membership, the gender gap is a real and pressing issue. Read more
Facts and figures
AO Spine course participants
AO Spine members
The Women in Spine task force
Rushama Tandon (Chairperson)
Additional Chief Health Director
Head, Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation
Northern Railway Central Hospital, New Delhi, India
Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon, Associate Professor
University of Colorado
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Professor and Vice Chair
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Stanford University Medical Center
Stanford, CA, USA
Head of Department, Neurosurgery and Spine Therapy
HELIOS Klinikum Berlin-Buch
Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon, Assistant Clinical Professor
UCLA Medical Center
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Manager AO Access