New AO Spine international blended MISS course premiers in 2023
A comprehensive online learning experience, including 2 weeks of self-directed learning followed by 6 live online modules with faculty, and a 1-day, face-to-face, on-site course in Prague, Czech Republic, awaits participants in the new AO Spine Blended Course—The MISS Spectrum Series in spring 2023.
The online portion of the 8-week, international, educational event takes place in April and May 2023, and the on-site event with hands-on practical exercises is scheduled for Tuesday, May 30, 2023.
The event includes 2 weeks of self-directed learning followed by 6 weeks of online activities with minimally invasive spine surgery (MISS) experts, members of the AO Spine MISS Task Force. The course will culminate with the unique day of face-to-face, hands-on education using Realspine models rotating through four key MISS exercises.
Covering MISS from indications and general skills to microscopic, endoscopic, and instrumented procedures, course content is standardized and based on the AO Spine MISS Curriculum. The course is targeted to practicing surgeons with few or no skills in MISS, orthopedic or neurosurgery spine program fellows, and physicians in their final years of residency who will specialize in spine surgery.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Diagnose the patient problem correlating the clinical findings with imaging and work up
- Recognize appropriate indications based on your skill set and case experience
- Select appropriate MISS procedure for the pathology and indication
- Recognize when MISS is not an appropriate option
- Set up technology, operating room, and the team for MISS procedures
- Describe the phases and steps for core microscopic, endoscopic, and instrumented MISS procedures
- Describe how to manage complications and apply a backup plan
The AO Spine MISS Curriculum and an array of learning materials are available in the Faculty Support Package.
If you are interested in receiving more information and a link to registration, please email Brian Amster.