Discover the unique opportunity to advance in your training and deepen your expertise
The AO CMF fellowship program offers a unique educational experience to the most promising young surgeons in the entire field of craniomaxillofacial surgery. With this program, AO CMF provides a gateway to the worldwide AO CMF network and fosters cross-pollination and networking opportunities across AO CMF's global community.
The fellows will have the opportunity to learn from leading AO CMF experts in the carefully selected and renown centers, covering the entire scope of craniomaxillofacial surgical procedures performed around the world. The duration of the AO CMF fellowship program is from 4-8 weeks. We support between 75–85 fellowships yearly.
The list of our AO CMF fellowship host center can be found here.
AO CMF fellowship program
The call for applications for the 2023 AO CMF fellowships is closed.
The call for applications for the 2024 AO CMF fellowships will open on April 3, 2023 – April 28, 2023.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
“It's not just a fellowship. It's a life experience!”
Dr. Varun Menon P, fellow at University Hospital Basel in 2017
We aim to identify the most promising young surgeons who dedicate their practice to the field of craniomaxillofacial surgery and support them to deepen their understanding and extend their knowledge and skills.
Selection criteria for AO CMF fellows
AO fellowships are in high demand, and we receive more applications than we can accommodate.
Fellows are selected by the AO CMF Regional Fellowship Coordinators and confirmed by their AO CMF Regional Boards, based on the following criteria:
- Graduation from a training program in one of the craniomaxillofacial (CMF) specialties
- Previous participation in the AO CMF Management of Facial Trauma (MFT) course
- Active AO CMF membership
- Younger than 40 years in the year of application (exceptions might be possible depending on the applicant's origin due to different education paths)
- Employment by a teaching hospital is recommended
The application requires the upload of supporting documentation. Please have these files ready for upload before you begin to fill in your application. (Accepted file formats are PDF, JPG, PNG, and GIF.)
You will need the following documents:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Copy of AO CMF MFT course/activity certificate(s)
- Copy of your medical and/or dental school(s) diploma(s)
- Copy of any additional attended AO CMF course /activity certificate(s)
- Two letters of recommendation (from your departmental head and any AO member who knows you personally)
- Copy of your passport
Submission of a photograph and/or evidence of vaccinations and your English language proficiency is optional.
Only complete applications will be considered.
The AO CMF fellowship stipends are calculated using a benchmark of USD 550 for 1 week's fellowship in the USA. The stipends for all other countries are adjusted for the local price level. To calculate the adjustment, the price level ratio of PPP conversion factor to market exchange rate provided by the World Bank is used. The World Bank data can be accessed here. The stipends are paid in Swiss Francs (CHF).