Call for abstracts: AO VET Symposium—Bridging The Gap: Translating Clinical Research to Clinical Practice
Virtual symposium: December, 2023
Deadline for abstract submission: September 24, 2023
Many veterinary practitioners perform orthopedic surgery, but may not have the opportunity to keep updated on the latest relevant clinical research that improves and defines the best standards in successful orthopedics. Recognizing the need to bridge the gap between clinical research and clinical practice, AO VET is now calling for abstracts for an innovative program: “AO VET Symposium—Bridging The Gap: Translating Clinical Research to Clinical Practice”. This is an exciting opportunity to present your clinical research to a wide audience of specialists, residents, and practitioners from the global AO VET community.
We are looking for clinically relevant research in all fields of veterinary orthopedics to be presented over to an exciting virtual symposium to be held in December*, 2023.
If your abstract is selected for presentation, you will be given the opportunity to prepare a 10-minute video to exhibit your research and serve as a basis for an in-depth discussion by a panel of AO VET experts.
The objectives of the symposium are:
- To make practitioners, residents, and specialists aware of recent and cutting-edge clinical research that is relevant and applicable to orthopedic surgical practice
- To group research into themed topics that are summarised by experienced AO VET faculty and followed by a moderated discussion on the topic
- To provide a forum for AO VET clinical researchers to present their research to practitioners internationally
The target audience for the symposium is small and large animal veterinarians performing orthopedic surgery on a regular basis, including general practitioners, interns, residents and surgery specialists. The virtual symposium will be open to all AO VET members and non-AO VET members.
Follow these steps to ensure a successful application:
- Carefully review the abstract submission template and the guidelines.
- Fill in the abstract submission template and send attached to the e-mail address mentioned above.
- Complement your abstract by including a 3-minute video explaining the clinical relevance of your research.
For guidance, watch a demonstration video below.
Guidelines on welfare and ethics
Authors must certify that all relevant legal and ethical requirements have been met with regards to the humane treatment of animals described in the study. Where required, the author must specify in the Materials and Methods the ethical review committee approval process and the international, national, and/or institutional guidelines followed. For studies using client-owned animals, the methods must demonstrate a high standard (best practice) of veterinary care and include informed client consent.
General instructions for abstract preparation
- The deadline for abstract submission is September 24, 2023. Abstracts will not be accepted after this deadline.
- All abstracts should be designated as a “clinically relevant piece of research”.
- Abstracts must be original research and submitted by the presenting author. Review articles will not be accepted.
- The abstract may have been presented at / published in the proceedings of other meetings prior to this event, but has not been published in a journal.
- No names, institutions, or sources of support should appear within the text of the abstract.
- Each abstract will be reviewed by an international panel and the successful applicants will be notified by October 27, 2023.
Call for abstracts opens August 3, 2023
Call for abstracts closes September 24, 2023
Notification email to successful applicants October 27, 2023
Virtual symposium December, 2023*
* The event is scheduled to take place during the AO Davos Courses, December 10 -14, 2023. The specific date will be confirmed at a later time.