Grant Writing course
Goal of the course
This AO PEER grant writing course aims to explain the structure of a research grant with a special focus on the rationale, project milestones, and feasibility. The course also gives an insight into the grant review process and how to deal with grant rejections.
This course targets individuals who want to apply for mid-sized grants, wish to initiate a multicenter study and establish a research environment. Furthermore, this course addresses individuals who need to mentor/supervise students, PhD candidates, or residents in their grant writing efforts.
This one-day course is organized in four modules that give participants the opportunity to experience the structure of a grant. The course is comprised of interactive discussions, workshops, and lectures and is preceded by online preparation activities. Practical examples and workshops show the subsections of a grant and the simulation of a grant review panel gives participants a personal insight into the grant review process, followed by tips on how to deal with grant rejections.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the difference between writing grant applications and scientific publications
- Write a grant by following the correct structure
- Set up a detailed research plan including feasible milestones and timelines
- Explain the grant review process
- Deal with grant rejection
- Critically review a grant application