Veterinary Externship Positions
This experience allows veterinary students to apply coursework learning to a real-life setting in preclinical orthopedic research within the AO Research Institute (ARI). Students are trained under the supervision of highly skilled and dedicated veterinarians, including ACVS / ECVS Diplomats, ECLAM and ECVAA residents, scientists and technical staff, whose combined knowledge and experience is utilized to develop models, plan experiments, conduct studies, correlate data and prepare study reports. It is a chance to observe, ask questions and gain hands-on experience in a highly-developed academic research environment. An externship can lead to opportunities after the completion of studies and provides a source of networking contacts for a later professional career.
Participation and Insight
- Examination of patients before and after surgical interventions
- Anesthesia of different species
- Assistance in surgical procedures
- Postoperative surveillance and wound management
- Digital radiography and CT imaging
- Ethical and welfare aspects of preclinical research
- State-of-the-art husbandry and housing of research herds
- Project management in preclinical research
Time and interest permitting, insight into other research areas of the institute (histology, biomechanical testing, regenerative medicine and musculoskeletal infection) is also possible.
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong interest in one or more of the following: surgery, anesthesia, laboratory medicine, imaging and (orthopedic) research
- Self-motivated and proactive team player with flexible attitude to constantly shifting work priorities
- Final year veterinary students will be given preference
- Fluency in German or English
Externships are for 8–12 weeks (it may be longer, this must be justified in the application).
Only applicants from EU-25 or EFTA member states can apply for these positions.